Monday, August 24, 2009

Pics from the Trip...Ft Benning to Kabul


Hi All,
This is my first attempt at blogging and I hope you enjoy the pics. I promise to add more photos. These are from the departure from Ft Benning, Georgia; the first stop in Bangor, Maine as we were met by WWII and Vietnam Veterans along with many volunteers (amazing way to start the journey...God Bless the US-A!). I'd also like to thank the crew from Omni Air International. They know what we're headed into and had first class service to make the trip as comfortable as possible. Over 30 hours on the plane and in airports, but with a little bit of Ambien and good books, it flew by. For Chari and Em, note the Americana Tootsie Rolls. They were consumed in the US, Germany, Kuwait, over the sea lanes of Iran and airspace of Pakistan. Love it!! Next posting will cover the "layover" in Kuwait. Love you guys! Thanks for all of the care packages and letters. They're the best part of the week!








2 comments:

  1. Hey you! Love that you're doing a blog. I'll be a follower, for sure! Love the pix. It looks like tootsie rolls and Three Cups o Tea ruled the ride over there. You're smiling in all the pix, so, so good so far! Tell me this: I want to send a care package...What do you all like to receive in care packages. I was thinking biscotti, only because it will last forever (decades, if not centuries, at least the trek to your place)! But what else? What are some of the things that are fun to receive in a care package? Post here! Then others will know, too! Have postage. Will send. Take EXTRA care, Andrea! Post often! Lots of pictures!
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marty,
    It's great to hear from you! How's the neighborhood doing? Please tell the all of our garden and dog walking mates I said hello. Hmmm, care package ideas...love the idea of biscotti. Wouldn't that be lovely with a cup of ISAF/NATO (read European) coffee:-) Love it! Breakfast bars are always handy, trail mix, beef jerky, a good book (that isn't a romance novel...not quite sure why all of the Morale Spt bookshelves are filled with them, but perhaps it's because so few are getting lovin' and want to read about it??); hand me down magazines are a huge hit and are cycled across the base. Pics from home or maybe a calendar with scenic DC, VA,heck, any color of sorts would be neat. Truth-be-told, I'm happy just to hear from folks about their day-to-day activities. "Normal life" is a welcomed balance to the activities here. Take care, pet the pups for me and have a glass of chardonnay on the patio for me too:-) Love ya, Andrea

    ReplyDelete